The Mortar Staff is a Hardmode sentry summon weapon that calls upon a friendly stationary Molten Mortar minion for 2 minutes. Once summoned, the Mortar minion launches exploding cannonballs at nearby enemies, acting as a stationary turret. The Mortar Staff is dropped by Molten Mortars (5% or 1/20).
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stats bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, Minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Mortar Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Once cast, the player can switch to another weapon and the Mortar will remain.
- The Molten Mortar provides a small amount of light around the fireball at the cast point as well as the Molten Mortars spawn point.
- The Molten Mortar can be summoned within or through solid blocks, which can be used to find ores and caves.
- Its bombs hit multiple times and do area of effect damage, hitting all enemies caught in the radius of the explosion.
- The Molten Mortar remains even if the player dies.
- The Mortar Staff can be used simultaneously with other sentry minions without impacting the player's normal minion total.
- The Mortar Staff's shots will be affected by gravity, and cannot reliably hit targets past 20 tiles or so. However, because its projectiles explode on contact with blocks and NPCs alike, you might still hit the enemy regardless.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Mortar Staff can be useful during invasions, and in combination with other sentry style Summon weapons.
- Unlike most Summon weapons, the Mortar Staff has a strong knockback, making it useful for crowd control.
- As the Molten Mortar can begin spawning as soon as Hardmode begins, you can acquire this staff immediately after defeating the Wall of Flesh. This can make a lot of early-Hardmode trials much easier, and it remains useful for most of the game thereafter.
- The Mortar will fire the moment it is summoned, provided a target is in range. Combined with its high knockback, the Mortar Staff's high mana cost, and the fact that the Mortar can be resummoned faster than it can re-fire, the Mythical modifier remains unusually useful for this particular summon.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When used, the Molten Mortar Staff inflicts damage in a small area around the cursor.
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: Decreased damage from 50 to 35 and, mana cost from 20 to 15.
- Decreased damage from 60 to 50 and knockback from 7 to 6.
- Increased use time from 13 to 19.
- 18.104.22.168: Introduced.