The Lich is a difficult Hardmode boss, that can be summoned after obtaining Hallowed Bars, Souls of Night and Pumpkins. The Lich can be fought right after killing at least one Mechanical Boss, but it is highly discouraged due to the difficulty of the encounter.
The Lich does not spawn on its own, and requires the player to summon it with a Grim Harvest Sigil.
The Lich flies after nearby players, unleashing flaming attacks and ramming into the player for massive damage.
- Rapidly fires flaming eye beams that set the hit player on fire that increase in frequency as health drops.
- Rains down enormous balls of flame that deal moderate damage to players.
- Releases a bolt of fire magic that stagnates mid-air or on tile impact. The resulting effect is a flaming vortex of immensely high damaging fire balls.
- Upon reaching 0 life, the Lich's mask and hood will be torn off and it pulls out a scythe.
The Lich (Unmasked) is the Expert Mode only form of The Lich, to which it will transform once the first form is defeated. It is restored to full health and has a variety of new abilities.
- Rushes the nearest player with high speed and damage.
- Unleashes powerful swings of the Lich's Soul Render, that deal massive damage.
- Summons enormous balls of flaming spirit-magic both above and below the players.
- Fortifies his defense with the summoning of a Phylactery of a Thousand Souls; that increases the Lich's defense greatly until defeated.
- Rain will always follow the summoning of The Lich.
- This boss can be fought pre-Plantera and drops the Pumpkin Moon Medallion, allowing you to fight the Pumpkin Moon before having obtained Ectoplasm.
- The Lich has been credited as a direct nod to the artist Endling's Pumpkin Lich.
- 18.104.22.168: Encounter overhauled visually and mechanically.
- 22.214.171.124: Introduced.